Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Identified by Words

Great people talk about ideas.
Average people talk about things.
Small people talk about people.

These words are posted on my desk. I do not know the author, and if you do, please tell me so that I can give credit where credit is due. But I keep it within view because I want to be reminded that my words identify the person I am.

Words are easy for me; I enjoy talking, I love to write, I love to read. My mother often told me that I talked long before the age of 2, and I am seldom short of words. Talking is how we communicate our feelings, our thoughts, and even our opinions. And while talking is and of itself a very good thing, it becomes a not so good thing when our words tear down instead of build up. It happens in our homes, in how we speak to and about our husband, especially in front of our children, in how we speak to our children, and it can even happen in how we speak and talk about ourselves, to ourselvses. I would never allow someone else to speak to me, the way I sometimes speak to me. Nor would I stand silently by while someone talked about me in such a negative way that I can sometimes talk about me, to me.

So come on! Let's stop it! Let's refuse to allow our enemy to deceive us into thinking, and saying things about ourselves that are not true, that cause us to live in defeat, that destroy our self-esteem.

2 Corinthians 10: 3:3 tells us that we may have to live in this flesh for a while longer, but we do not have to fight in the flesh. God has given us "mighty weapons" so we can "pull down those strongholds" of wrong thinking and take those thoughts "captive to the obedience of Christ."

Your choice of words can change an argument with your husband, to an in-depth conversation that really accomplishes something good. Your choice of words with your child can turn a "shouting match" into a calm exchange of thoughts and ideas that builds trust and deepens your relationship. And the words you speak to, and about yourself can make the difference in a woman who lives in victory, or one who lives in defeat.

Got your Bible close by? Look in Ephesians 1, verses 3-7 at the 7 things God declares over you. Please hi-lite each one and when things go wrong, and you are tempted to blame yourself for everything from the broken icemaker to world peace, take those thoughts "captive" and break that "stronghold" by repeating words that God uses to describe how He sees you.

Ready??

Your are:
1. Blessed.
2. Chosen. (Amen, He chose me!!)
3. Holy. (Yes, He sees me "Holy and without blame before Him, in love")
4. Adopted.
5. Accepted. I may not feel accepted by everyone, but praise God, I am accepted by Him.
6. Redeemed. "He bought me back" from sin, and I can never be "un-redeemed" (my computer is telling me that isn't a word, but for today it is) again, EVER.
7. Forgiven. Nothing more needs to be said about that!! That one word says it all.

No matter what we may say about ourselves, God only speaks healing words, loving words, positive and uplifting words over us; blessed, chosen, holy, adopted, accepted, redeemed, and forgiven. If you look closely at each word you will see that those 7 words take in every area of a woman's life. Those are the words that identify the woman I am. And if you are a believer, they identify you, too. Think good thoughts
(and words) today ladies.

Blessings,
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment