Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Just as a Little Child

 I am an admirer of Billy and Ruth Graham. I admire their love story, I admire their choice to live modestly and in such contrast to many popular preachers and evangelists of our day. I have read many of their books and especially enjoy Ruth's biography, "It's My Turn." In her biography she inspires women of every age to live for Christ, love and serve your husband, devote yourself to your marriage and children, and serve faithfully wherever He places you. 

In her biography she says this; When Jesus put the little child in the midst of His disciples (Matt.18-1-5) He did not tell the little child to become like the disciples: He told the disciples to become like the little child. 

My grandchildren are teaching me many spiritual lessons. As I listen to their sweet words of love, as I witness their trust in their parents and see their devotion and abandonment to those of us in their lives they depend on, it reminds me that God desires my free expressions of love. He desires that I trust Him when I don't understand the circumstances of my life or the situations He sends my way. He longs that I remain devoted to Him with abandonment and depend upon Him and Him alone to provide for me, to sustain me, and direct, and yes, even to correct. For I have discovered in my own life that it is easy to have child-like faith when things are going well, but not so easy when I am chastised and corrected for sin in my life. 

The things that come from a child toward his parents are simple things. They are not complicated at all. Trust, faith, obedience, devotion, expressions of love, loyalty, spending time together, expressing thanks, can easily be seen in children who love their parents. And these are child-like expressions of love and faith I long to give my Savior. 

We're quick to point out to our children those adults they are to admire, imitate, and strive to be like and that is not always a bad thing. But I want to be just as quick to take Jesus at His word and strive to be more like a little child in my faith and my approach to God.

Every single person, from the greatest to the least has come to Christ as a little child. Only when we put away all the "grown-up" ideas, misconceptions, misunderstandings, false teachings and come to Him with the same love, devotion, and trust as a little child can we ever experience the true joy and sweetness of Jesus. 

Come to Him as a little child today. He will not turn you away. 


Penny



No comments:

Post a Comment